Friday, June 20, 2008

What is Style? Revisited

After many different projects in this short time, I've really learned a lot about writing and technology, and how it encompasses style. I guess before this class started, I didn't think about how large of an effect style makes. It really involves more than just the writer--you have to always think about the audience. It's a lot more than just words on a page--it's how those words look, how they sound when you read them, the image you get in your mind...it's a very big part of writing that I guess I just didn't fully comprehend.

I think that through the different essays and readings we were given, I was able to look at style in a different way each time. I learned about style through images in the visual rhetoric assignment, I learned about good, effective writing style through the guides we read, I was made aware of how style has stemmed into web design, and I saw firsthand how far style has come in terms of writing technologies. Being able to realize this in such a broad spectrum has really shaped how much I weigh style in an essay.

What I have learned through this class is to always be clear, effective, and consider your audience. I hope that these lessons stay with me and that I can pass them on to my students as well.

No comments: