Thursday, May 22, 2008

What Others Are Saying...

I agree with others that this post was really fun because it's almost like having a classroom discussion. It was nice to see what everyone else was thinking, and discovering if we were agreeing or not on the issues with the text. It was relieving to see that for the most part, the class agrees on issues, namely that S&W is far more accessible for younger, more novice writers while the Williams is suitable for the advanced, experienced writer.

What I liked most about reading through my classmates' blogs was observing the differences that we had. As Beth commented, these books were written with the intention of making us better writers. I often lost sight of that when I was reading the books, because I was so caught up in the chapters themselves that I lost the "bigger picture". Being reminded of that little fact makes a world of difference.

I could really relate to Rebecca when she says "I think the Williams did a good job giving plenty of examples, although some were very length and hard to concentrate on. " I think this seemed to be the general consensus with the whole class, but it also seems to be that everyone learned and benefited from the text as well. The generic statement from most blogs seemed to be "It was a hard read, but I learned a lot."

Finally, in Kiersten's second paragraph of her post comparing the Williams and S&W, she makes a great point about how even the titles of the chapters were more clear in the Williams. This is something I never would have really considered, but reading these comparisons from the perspective of others really opens my eyes to additional aspects of these texts. Lastly, it helps me to reinforce the ideas I already had prior to reading the blogs of others.

No comments: