Saturday, May 10, 2008

Writing As A Technology/Show and Tell






So, I'll be completely honest and say that I was stumped for ideas for my writing experiment for awhile. It took a long time to come up with something that fit the criteria. Of course, like many other classmates, I chose to go down the food route. To me, it seemed like the most logical choice, because I thought using ash and logs wasn't innovative enough. (I apologize if that was offensive to anyone who chose to do that!)

Staying within the boundaries of the four criteria was a little challenging. I finally decided to go with lasagna noodles, peanut butter, and a plastic Ziploc bag. I know that in theory, I could have "made" the noodles and peanut butter, so I still considered them to be natural, and I used the Ziploc bag as my "pencil"...filling it with peanut butter and then cutting off the tiniest corner to use my "lead" to write with.

Initially, I thought I would have a lot of trouble, because I was having such a hard time coming up with materials for my project. However, I really enjoyed this project once I figured out what I was going to do, and then, going back through the readings to relate my invention to the theories presented in their texts was interesting to me as well. For example, I was pleased when I realized how portable my writing tablet was--but then displeased when I realized though they were on a flat surface and could be carried easily, they could not be stacked, or it would all be ruined. Further, if I were to place my writing outside on a sunny day, the writing wouldn't last long before melting and running all over the lasagna noodle "paper". I found advantages and disadvantages, so I certainly learned a lot about writing as a technology, and found myself really appreciating the advancements we have made!

I think after reading the Manguel and Baron articles I understand (and appreciate) the value of the technology available for us to use in regard to writing. Before reading about the histories of writing and technology advances, I would have never thought that a pencil could have as much impact as a computer. Now, I completely understand that there have been numerous inventions and steps that have been taken throughout the evolution of writing and realize that along the way, there has been great commotion over what we now see as something so minor. Moreover, the Baron points out that "we adapt it to our lives--and, of course, adapt our lives to it." (71) It's all about the adjustments made (from both sides) that have gotten us this far. Likewise, the Manguel talks about the accessibility of books, and how their evolution has made it so convenient for us to be able to read virtually anything in various shapes and sizes.

I think the main difference when comparing the Plato/Ong articles to the Baron/Manguel, I see the value of the spoken word emphasized more in the former set, with the acceptance and improvement of writing forms and machines. Whereas Plato may have been trying to preserve the importance of the spoken word and fear the written word, Baron and Maguel seem to understand, or advocate, the movement of technological advancement.

1 comment:

Steven D. Krause said...

Great pictures here, Lauren!